skip to Main Content
Motoring offences
Home » Motoring » Dangerous driving

Dangerous driving

If you are charged with dangerous driving, your case could be heard either in the Magistrates court or the Crown Court.

The Road Traffic Act 1988 states that a person is driving dangerously only when:

  1. the way he drives falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver, and
  2. it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving in that way would be dangerous.

The offence can also be committed when driving a vehicle, ‘if it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving the vehicle in its current state would be dangerous.’ Examples of the type of behaviour that might be considered dangerous driving include racing on public roads, aggressive driving, or driving a vehicle you know to be unsafe.

If you are found guilty of this offence the court could order you to pay a substantial fine and you could be banned from driving. For more serious offences, it is possible that you might receive a custodial sentence. In addition, if you are disqualified from driving in respect of this offence, you will have to undertake an extended driving test once your ban has been completed.

To view our Motoring FAQs  click here

How we can help

Should your matter proceed to court, your case will be led by barrister or a solicitor-advocate, so you can be sure that your case will be expertly prepared and that the representation at court that we provide, will be of the highest quality.

Once we have your instruction, we will thoroughly examine the prosecution case and all the available evidence. It may be that there are defences that can be put forward, or that the prosecution evidence could be challenged.

We will then give you clear, practical advice in respect of the strength of the prosecution case and in respect of plea, mitigation and sentencing. If there are defences that could be put forward, we will advise you accordingly.

If it is necessary to take statements from your witnesses we will do so, and we will assist you in obtaining documentation, such as medical records, that may be relevant to your case. For a confidential discussion in respect of this offence call our office on 01223 632420 and arrange an appointment.

Our reputation drives our business

“Excellent service and first class advice. Very efficient and I would definitely recommend.”

“Showed a genuine level of empathy and respect which made all the difference in the most distressing weeks of my life.”

“I could not have wished for a better outcome. I was extremely worried about going to prison.
You handled my case with exceptional professionalism. Thank you very much.”

“I was regularly informed of progress with regular communication.
Highly satisfied with service and received the best possible outcome”

“I felt I was in the best possible hands, their knowledge and care made all the difference.”

Motoring offencesMotoring offence FAQs

I am convinced I wasn’t speeding. Can I challenge the speed camera reading?
I have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) one month after the date of the motoring offence specified. Am I going to be prosecuted?
I have been charged with drink driving. Can I attend a drink driving rehabilitation course?
I am worried that I will lose my licence through the ‘totting up’ process. Can I put forward an ‘exceptional hardship’ argument?

Back To Top