skip to Main Content
Motoring offences
Home » Motoring » Failing to provide a specimen

Failing to provide a specimen

At Libra Solicitors we believe that it is never too early to take legal advice, but sometimes, it can be too late. For a confidential discussion about this offence, and how we could help you, call us on 01223 632420 and arrange an appointment.

If you fail to provide a specimen to the police when asked to do so, you are likely to be charged with this offence. This offence can also apply when the police require a specimen for the purposes of drug testing.

If you are being prosecuted for this offence, you could be banned from driving for a minimum of 12 months if the court finds you guilty. In the most serious cases, the court could give you to a custodial sentence.

You may however, have a defence to the charge if you can prove that you were mentally or physically unable to provide the specimen, and that your condition caused you to fail to provide the specimen. Such a defence may be difficult to establish and you may need to provide medical evidence to the court that supports your claim.

To view our Motoring FAQs  click here

How we can help

At Libra Solicitors, we are committed to providing our clients with excellent advice and representation. Your case will be led by barrister or a solicitor-advocate, so you can be sure that your case will be expertly prepared and that the representation at court that we provide will be of the highest quality.

Once we have your instruction, we will thoroughly examine the prosecution case and all the available evidence. It may be that there are defences that can be put forward, or that the prosecution evidence could be challenged. We will then give you clear, practical advice in respect of the strength of the prosecution case and in respect of plea, mitigation and sentencing. If there are defences that could be put forward, we will advise you accordingly.

In addition, if it is necessary to take statements from your witnesses, we will do so and we will assist you in obtaining documentation, such as medical records, that may be relevant to your case.

If you would like to know more about this offence, call us now on 01223 632420 and arrange an appointment.

Our reputation drives our business

“Excellent service and first class advice. Very efficient and I would definitely recommend.”

“Showed a genuine level of empathy and respect which made all the difference in the most distressing weeks of my life.”

“I could not have wished for a better outcome. I was extremely worried about going to prison.
You handled my case with exceptional professionalism. Thank you very much.”

“I was regularly informed of progress with regular communication.
Highly satisfied with service and received the best possible outcome”

“I felt I was in the best possible hands, their knowledge and care made all the difference.”

Motoring offences

Motoring offence FAQs


  • I am convinced I wasn’t speeding. Can I challenge the speed camera reading?
  • I have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) one month after the date of the motoring offence specified. Am I going to be prosecuted?
  • I have been charged with drink driving. Can I attend a drink driving rehabilitation course?
  • I am worried that I will lose my licence through the ‘totting up’ process. Can I put forward an ‘exceptional hardship’ argument?
Back To Top